About Dewey Beach
Dewey Beach lies on a small strip of land between the Atlantic Ocean and Rehoboth Bay and is about one mile long and two blocks wide. Despite its small size and low year-round population of about 300, it is not uncommon for 30,000 to descend upon the town during summer weekends. Numerous bars and restaurants line Coastal Highway (Delaware Route 1), the town's main street.While it has a reputation as a magnet for partygoers in the summer months, Dewey Beach is also a popular family resort spot, particularly because of its wide, sandy beaches, and many hotels, cottages, and condominiums may be found.
Visitors Need to Know
- Click me to be directed to the Dewey beach Parking Guide!
- The beach is open from 5:30a.m. to 1:00a.m.
- Dogs are allowed on the beach BEFORE 9:30am and AFTER 5:30p.m. from May 15th to September 15th. A Dewey Beach dog license is required at all times, year-round.
- Please respect Dewey Beach and help us to keep it beautiful! Fines apply for not cleaning up after your dog, as well as for littering, year-round.
- Surf fishing is permitted! You must ensure that you are not within 100 feet of bathers if you are fishing between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 5:00p.m. (Note: Please obtain a fishing license from DNREC).
- For your safety and the safety of fellow beachgoers, launching boats and swimming to and from boats is prohibited.
- Bonfires are permitted on the beach, but require a permit. To obtain a permit: Dewey Beach property owners must pay $30.00 for the permit and a $100.00 deposit. Non-Dewey Beach property owners must pay $50.00 for the permit and a $100.00 deposit. The $100.00 deposit is refunable upon cleaning up the fire.
- No town permit is required for a bonfire on private property within the town. It should be noted, however, that both the State Fire Marshal and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) have constraints on such activity. The State Fire Marshal may declare a burning ban; the status of such a ban may be found by checking their web site at www.statefiremarshal.delaware.gov or by calling the local fire department at 302-227-8400 or DNREC at 302-739-9402. DNREC's restrictions are stated on their website page "Citizen’s Guide to Open Burning."
- Volleyball play is permitted on Dewey Beach! Please check with a lifeguard prior to setting up to ensure you are in a designated area.
- Between the hours of 11:00a.m. and 3:00p.m. sports activities are limited. Please check with a lifeguard prior to engaging in sporting activities during these hours.
- Alcohol is not permitted on the beach from May 15th through September 15th.
- Woody's Dewey Beach
- Sunrise Restaurant
- Dewey Beer Co.
- Mama Maria's Restaurant and Beach Bar
- Nalu Hawaiian Surf Bar & Grill
- Henlopen City Oyster House